About Health Equity
At Impetus - Lets Get Started, we
believe that health is a right, not a privilege - and is based on
principles of social justice and parity. Moreover, the right to health equity is endorsed the the US Constitution ("in pursuit of happiness") and explicitly referred to in the UN's Universal Declaration on Human Rights. We are committed to providing culturally competent consultation, staff development and training services to government, business and non-profit organizations to address health inequity and the elimination of health disparities for all people.
We do this by raising awareness, educating and training about:
- the causes and effects of health disparities
and health inequity;
- the social, behavioral, environmental,
biological and genetic determinants of
health (defined by the World Health Organization as "the conditions in which people are born, live, work and age");
- culturally competent approaches and best practices for addressing systemic health disparities and health inequities;
- the importance of partnerships,
coalitions and collaborations in achieving health equity for all; and
- the importance of health literacy and self-advocacy to enhance access to healthy resources.
In our work to achieve health equity, we are committed to participating and being in partnership with local, state, regional and national groups, councils
and entities that promote and advocate health equity. Currently, our engagement with organizations that promote health equity include (but are not limited to):
- The Region V Health Equity Council (HHS' National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities)
- The Minneapolis SHIP (State Health Improvement
Program) Community Leadership Team
- The MEDICA State Programs Advisory Committee
- The Community Health Improvement
Partnership (CHIP) of Hennepin County
Additionally, our work in Health Equity includes train-the-trainer seminars in health literacy and self-advocacy
Book a presentation by submitting a request for our services on the Consultation and Training Request or Contact Us page.